Hull City Council offer a quick and easy online portal to apply for Free School Meals:
or alternatively you can complete a paper form to apply for Free School Meals (available from the school office). We’ll even pop completed forms in the post if you hand them into the school office!
At Buckingham Primary Academy we are delighted that all children in FS2, Y1 & Y2 receive a free school meal through the Government’s Universal Infant Free School Meal (UIFSM) initiative, but we believe this is having an impact on the Pupil Premium funding we receive from the Government for Free School Meals (FSM). We have found that parents who may be entitled to Free School Meals are no longer applying because of the UIFSM initiative. The more pupils who are eligible for FSM, the more funding the school receives. Pupil Premium funding is calculated on the number of pupils in receipt of FSM and the purpose of this funding is to raise attainment and help close the gap between disadvantaged children (of all abilities) and their peers .
There has been a significant reduction in the Pupil Premium funding we have received in recent years. In the 2016/17 academic year we saw a loss of approx. £30000.00 compared to the funding received in the 2014/15 academic year.
If your child is in FS1, FS2, Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5 or Y6 and you are in receipt of the following benefits, you can help us by applying for Free School Meals:
• income support
• income based jobseekers allowance
• income related employment and support allowance (ESA – IR)
• universal credit
• asylum seekers (receiving support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999)
• the guaranteed element of state pension credit
• child tax credit (with an annual income of no more than £16,190 as assessed by the Inland Revenue)
• working tax credit run on – paid for four weeks after you stop qualifying for working tax credit
We will text parents & carers a copy of the Hull City Council Portal link periodically.
Thank you for taking the time to read this important request!